Skip to main content

Art and Craft

I think most architects have hobbies producing some kind of art or craft - some design furniture, others paint or draw, still others sew, and there are probably as many different outlets as there are individuals.  One of my colleagues at work is a talented encaustic painter (painting with wax), another designs and builds his own surfboards, and one of my former colleagues makes decorative knives.

As for me - I make, well, random stuff.  The impulse is there, but the discipline (the craft, you might say) isn't, so the art pieces and crafts I make are whatever takes my fancy at the moment, allowing me to explore different techniques and materials.  I haven't posted any of my crafts for a while, so here is a selection of pieces from the last couple of years.

"Collected Works"

As a kid, I collected all kinds of things: figurative erasers, toy cars, stickers, enamel pins, etc.  Lately I've been interested in trying to turn those collections into artwork, as a way of ending the collection and transforming it into a piece I could display.  I'm calling the series "Collected Works."  I decided to start with a display of all my enamel pins, which have been primarily collected from Odyssey of the Mind, but also from various places I've traveled over the years. 

Collected Works #1

To make this piece, first, I designed the background canvas using a pattern of circles that I drew digitally, based on the number of pins I needed to display.  Then I printed the pattern, cut it out by hand (using a circle cutter tool) to make a template, and then painted the pattern onto the canvas.  This gave me the grid for laying out the pins, with different sizes of circles for different sizes of pins; the intent was to have an abstract pattern of contrasting sizes.  Last, I laid out all my pins on the canvas, and fastened them.  It didn't turn out exactly like I hoped, because more of the pins were large-sized than I initially thought, but the pattern is still visible in the top half of the piece. 



Background canvas


Collected Works #2 (in progress)

For my second piece of this series, I'm using all the ticket stubs I had saved from my semester abroad in Italy.  This piece is also a test for a larger piece I'm planning using movie ticket stubs.  I bought hardboard for the painting surface, gessoed it, and adhered the paper stubs to it.  I'm still contemplating how to finish this piece - I want to coat it with a transparent top layer - so hopefully I can post the finished product later this year.

Test fitting the layout - not painted or adhered yet...


Ornaments 2016

My last post about "stuff I made" neglected to include the ornaments I made in 2016, which were pretty excellent, if I don't say so myself.  I started by downloading high-resolution photographs of snowflakes taken by Ken Libbrecht, the father/father-in-law of our good friends.  He graciously agreed to let me use his photos for this project.  Then, I traced the outline of the shapes of six of the snowflakes I thought looked interesting, and laser cut them out of thin plywood.  As a final step, I boxed them with red twine for hanging and little rubber feet for using as coasters, and a card showing the original photographs that I used.  I think I can say they were a hit with our family and friends.





Around the house

For months, we have had nothing on the wall above our dresser, since I took down a Chihuly poster that was just too dark.  Finally I got around to figuring out what to do: I installed a picture ledge, and then spray-mounted a bunch of posters in coordinating colors that I already had lying around.  Now I have a display shelf that I can change out whenever I please, I can shuffle the pieces around, and I didn't have to buy any expensive frames!

Why yes, that is a basket of lightsabers on my dresser


An earlier craft that I posted last year was a pair of Harry Potter-style wands.  Since then, my wand has been stuck in a basket.  I wanted to display it somewhere appropriate, so I repurposed this calendar display (thanks, Wondermark!) to hold the wand.  Of course, the display needed some House pride on it.  I definitely cheated on this one and just printed out the crest, glued it to the board, then painted over it.  Why re-invent the wheel, right?


Have any craft ideas you've been trying to finish for a while?  I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Voter's Guide: Local Elections 2016

I spent a long time researching different local races and some of the ballot measures here in Santa Clara County.  In case you're on the fence or want some further information to guide your voting, I've compiled my thoughts here. Selection Methodology I have three tiers for selecting  candidates. 1. Alignment on Issues:  I will choose the candidate who is most closely aligned with me on the issues I think are important. 2. Experience and Education:  All other things being equal, I will choose the candidate who has the most knowledge of what is required for the position, either through education, previous experience, or active participation in similar positions. 3. Women and Minorities:  All other things being equal (#1 and #2 above), I will choose candidates who are women or minorities in order to increase the diversity of voices of our elected officials.  It's my own personal form of affirmative action. The Issues We're fortunate enough to live in a place

Housing Affordability in the Bay Area: An Architectural Perspective

The Bay Area's housing crisis has gained a status akin to the weather: We can't help but mention it whenever two or more Bay Area residents are gathered together, and we feel there's equally nothing we can do to change it.  But instead of the general praise given to the area's weather, there is general despair about the state of housing.  At least among the twenty-something set and construction industry professionals who make up my peers and colleagues, there are few answers and much criticism for the way we live here.  It's not dense enough, public transportation is a sham, and housing costs are outrageous.  Many of my peers agree that they would not live here at all except that their spouse/significant other works in the tech industry, without whose salary they could not afford to live here, but whose worth is so valued here that it makes little sense economically to live elsewhere.  Here in the Peninsula it's just as bad as in San Francisco ("the city&

Book Review: "Theory and Design in the First Machine Age"

Reyner Banham 's Theory and Design in the First Machine Age (1960) is an engaging overview of the important theoretical developments of the early 20th century leading up to the "International Style" of the 1930s-40s.  Banham does a fairly good job, in my opinion, of avoiding excessive editorializing, although he has a clear viewpoint on the Modern Movement and finishes with a strong conclusion.  In opposition to his teacher, Nikolaus Pevsner , whose own history of modernism came out in 1936, Banham dismantled the " form follows function " credo that became the stereotype of modernism, arguing instead that formalism (a preoccupation with style and aesthetics) was an important, if not overriding, concern of Modern architects.  Two sections of the book struck me in particular: his analysis of Le Corbusier's famous book Vers une architecture (Toward a [new] architecture) from 1923, and his Conclusion (chapter 22), where he breaks the link between functionali