Skip to main content

Open Letter to Jen Yates

Dear Jen,

I've been reading Cake Wrecks for over three years and EPBOT since you started it, checking my Google Reader feed every day in anticipation and even forcing my husband to look at your posts from time to time.  So I thought it was about time that I wrote you a thank-you note for all the humor and joy you've brought me.  I like to think that if I still lived in Florida, and was living in Orlando instead of Sarasota where I grew up, we could be friends; we have many shared interests (which explains my continued interest in your writing, and especially in EPBOT, which I prefer by far), we both enjoy cake and craft projects, and we both subject our husbands to undue amounts of stress (hi, Justin!).

What you do, however, that I only wish I could, is make it your mission to share your interests and sense of humor with the world in a way that's always affirming, supportive, and makes the rest of us readers feel like we're part of a network of awesome people - like we're not so alone.  You've introduced me to "Doctor Who" and "The Guild" and other shows/stories/music that have entertained me, and inspired me to share my own thoughts in this very blog.  I haven't bought either of your books (although I'm sure they're hilarious like everything you write), but I still feel welcome reading your posts every day.  I've cheered at your support of geek girls and the trials they face, worried about your family's health, and wished I had more room in my small NYC apartment so I could try my hand at your craft tutorials.  And I've wondered over and over again how you manage to produce really funny prose practically every day.

In short, you're such a celebrity in my life that I can refer to "Jen" and my husband knows I'm taking about you and not any of the other Jens I know (often I refer to you as "the Cake Wrecks lady" to avoid confusion, but usually "Jen" is sufficient).  So thank you for sharing your wit, grammar knowledge, and wisdom with the many, many readers who follow your blog.  We truly appreciate it.

Best wishes/May the Force be with you,
Caroline

http://www.cakewrecks.com/
http://www.epbot.com/


PS:  I hope this letter doesn't seem creepy, but based on the number of creepy things I've seen on Cake Wrecks, I suspect this has to rank very low on the creepiness scale.  Either that or Cake Wrecks has severely deformed my creepiness scale, in which case, I abjure responsibility!

PPS:  How nice are you to renovate your parents' entire house??  Of course this is only the latest example of how nice you are.  You rock.

PPPS:  Sorry this isn't in sonnet form.  Many things I may be, but a poet I am not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Theory and Design in the First Machine Age"

Reyner Banham 's Theory and Design in the First Machine Age (1960) is an engaging overview of the important theoretical developments of the early 20th century leading up to the "International Style" of the 1930s-40s.  Banham does a fairly good job, in my opinion, of avoiding excessive editorializing, although he has a clear viewpoint on the Modern Movement and finishes with a strong conclusion.  In opposition to his teacher, Nikolaus Pevsner , whose own history of modernism came out in 1936, Banham dismantled the " form follows function " credo that became the stereotype of modernism, arguing instead that formalism (a preoccupation with style and aesthetics) was an important, if not overriding, concern of Modern architects.  Two sections of the book struck me in particular: his analysis of Le Corbusier's famous book Vers une architecture (Toward a [new] architecture) from 1923, and his Conclusion (chapter 22), where he breaks the link between functionali

A Voter's Guide: Local Elections 2016

I spent a long time researching different local races and some of the ballot measures here in Santa Clara County.  In case you're on the fence or want some further information to guide your voting, I've compiled my thoughts here. Selection Methodology I have three tiers for selecting  candidates. 1. Alignment on Issues:  I will choose the candidate who is most closely aligned with me on the issues I think are important. 2. Experience and Education:  All other things being equal, I will choose the candidate who has the most knowledge of what is required for the position, either through education, previous experience, or active participation in similar positions. 3. Women and Minorities:  All other things being equal (#1 and #2 above), I will choose candidates who are women or minorities in order to increase the diversity of voices of our elected officials.  It's my own personal form of affirmative action. The Issues We're fortunate enough to live in a place

Housing Affordability in the Bay Area: An Architectural Perspective

The Bay Area's housing crisis has gained a status akin to the weather: We can't help but mention it whenever two or more Bay Area residents are gathered together, and we feel there's equally nothing we can do to change it.  But instead of the general praise given to the area's weather, there is general despair about the state of housing.  At least among the twenty-something set and construction industry professionals who make up my peers and colleagues, there are few answers and much criticism for the way we live here.  It's not dense enough, public transportation is a sham, and housing costs are outrageous.  Many of my peers agree that they would not live here at all except that their spouse/significant other works in the tech industry, without whose salary they could not afford to live here, but whose worth is so valued here that it makes little sense economically to live elsewhere.  Here in the Peninsula it's just as bad as in San Francisco ("the city&